The English Premier League (EPL) is the top tier of England’s football pyramid. It’s the world’s most-watched league with more than 1 billion homes in 188 countries watching the action. 20 clubs compete in the EPL and only seven teams have managed to win the title since the competition began in 1992. A total of 49 clubs have played in the Premier League with Arsenal, Everton, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, and Manchester City being the ever-present PL clubs. Manchester United has won the most titles, 13, than any other club in the premier league.
Several premier league records have been set by different PL clubs. Derby County holds the record for the fewest PL wins in a season. The club won just a single match in the 2007/08 season. The best PL goal difference is Manchester City’s +79 in the 2017/18 season. This article lists these premier league records most of which you probably do not know.
- By the end of the 2017/2018 season, Manchester City had a goal difference of +79. This is the best goal difference ever in a single season. They lifted the title during that season.
- The worst goal difference in a single season is Derby County’s -69 during the 2007-08 premier league season.
- In the 2004-05 season, Chelsea conceded only 15 goals. This is the fewest number of goals conceded in a single season.
- Derby County conceded 89 goals in the 2007-08 EPL season, the most goals conceded in a season.
- Manchester City has scored more goals in a season than any other premier league club. It scored 106 goals in the 2017-18 season.
- Derby County and Sheffield United hold the record for the fewest goals scored in a season. Derby County scored 20 goals in the 2007-08 season while Sheffield United also scored 20 goals in the 2020-21 season.
- Manchester United has conceded the fewest goals (4) at home in a PL season (1994-95).
- The most PL goals scored away in a season: 48 – Liverpool (2013/14).
- In the 2020/21 season Fulham scored only 9 goals at home, the fewest premier league goals scored at home in a season.
- In the 2019/20 season Norwich City scored only 7 away goals, the fewest PL goals scored away in a season.
- Manchester City finished the 2017-18 season with 100 points, the highest points in a season.
- Derby County finished the 2007-08 season with only 11 points, the fewest points in a single season.
- Fewest points in a season to win the title: Manchester United (1996-97) 75 points
- In 2002-03, West Ham United completed the season with 42 points, the most points in a season for a club to be relegated.
- Most points in a season without winning the title: Liverpool in the 2018-19 season, 97 points.
- Most wins in a season (32), Manchester City in the 2017-18 & 2018-19 seasons. Liverpool in the 2019-20 season.
- During the 2007-08 season, Derby County had only one win, the fewest wins in a single season.
- Liverpool holds the record for the most consecutive home wins, 24, from 9 February 2019 to 11 July 2020.
- Manchester City holds the record for the most consecutive away wins in a season, 12, from 19 December 2020 to 14 May 2021.
- Sunderland won only one home game in the 2005-06 season. Derby County also won a single home game in the 2007-08 season — the fewest home wins in a season.
- Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool, and Manchester United jointly hold the record for the most home wins (18) in a single season.
- Manchester City has the most away wins in a season (16) 2017-18 season.
- Clubs that have lost most matches in a single season:
- Ipswich Town, 29 defeats (1994/95)
- Sunderland, 29 defeats (2005/06)
- Derby County, 29 defeats (2007/08)
- Sheffield United, 29 defeats (2020/21)
2. According to premierleague.com, Arsenal completed the 2003/04 season without a single defeat, the fewest PL defeats in a season.
3. The most consecutive PL defeats in a season, Sunderland (15) – 2002/03
4. Longest PL unbeaten home run: 86 – Chelsea (February 21, 2004 – October 26, 2008)
5. Longest premier league unbeaten away run: 29 – Manchester United (17 February 2020 – 19 September 2021)
6. Manchester United and Arsenal hold the Premier League record for the fewest away defeats (0) in a season. Arsenal never lost an away match in the 2001/02 and 2003/04 seasons. Manchester United also never lost an away match in the 2020/21 season.
7. Burnley holds the record for the most PL away defeats in a season (17) – 2009/10.
8. The longest Premier League unbeaten run: 49 – Arsenal (7 May 2003 – 24 October 2004)
- The biggest Premier League home wins: Manchester United v Ipswich Town (9-0) on 4 March 1995. Manchester United v Southampton (9-0) on 2 February 2021.
- The Highest scoring draw: 5-5 – West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United, 19 May 2013.
- 0-9 – Southampton v Leicester City, 25 October 2019 is the biggest away win in the history of the premier league.
- 7-4 – Portsmouth v Reading (29 September 2007) is the highest premier league scoring match.
- Manchester United has the most consecutive title wins, 3, in the seasons 1998/99-2000/01 and 2006/07-2008/09.
- In the 2011/12 season, Manchester City won the ELP title with a margin of 0 points and a goal difference of +8, the smallest title-winning margin.
- The biggest title-winning margin: 19 points, Manchester City 2017/18 season.
Promotion and Relegation
- Clubs that have never been relegated, are Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham Hotspur, and Manchester United.
- Teams relegated from the premier league most times: Norwich City 5 times (1994/95, 2004/05, 2013/14, 2015/16, 2019/20), West Bromwich Albion 5 times (2002/03, 2005/06, 2008/09, 2017/18, 2020/21).
- Clubs promoted to the premier league most times: Norwich City 5 times (2003/04, 2010/11, 2014/15, 2018/19, 2020/21), West Bromwich Albion 5 times (2001/02, 2003/04, 2007/08, 2009/10, 2019/20)
- All three promoted clubs being relegated in a season: Barnsley, Bolton Wanderers, and Crystal Palace (1997/98)
Tell us which premier league records you found most exciting in the comments section.